Job Posting: Full Stack Web Developer
Kindful was founded with a simple idea in mind: nonprofits should be able to spend less time focused on their database and more time focused on their mission. Kindful offers a beautifully designed, intuitive, fully integrated online fundraising CRM.
Kindful is growing! Come join our team of talented individuals who are passionate about building relationships within our team, with our partners, and with our customers that enable Kindful to make a real difference in the nonprofit market with our fully integrated online fundraising CRM.
Kindful is located in Nashville, Tennessee.
The reason we are here at Kindful is to make our nonprofit customers successful in their missions. And the way we do that on the software development team is to build features and products that provide real value to our customers.
Full stack development
- Work within all layers of our products, with an emphasis on backend components, API, and the database.
- Our tech stack includes Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, Backbone.js.
- Produce quality code: ensure the acceptance criteria passes before you are finished. Write tests & make sure they pass.
- You may be writing components or features from scratch, refactoring code, adding incremental improvements, writing and maintaining technical documentation, writing tests, and fixing bugs.
- Review and provide input into software specifications.
- Collaborate with other developers to ensure (1) we are taking the best approach (2) we are doing things in a consistent way (3) we share information.
- Work closely with quality assurance team members to ensure code is tested well.
- Voice your perspective, especially where you see areas of risk or roadblocks to our goals.
What a typical day looks like
We employ an agile-flavored software development process at Kindful. You’ll know what your goals are for the week ahead. A typical day as a web developer at Kindful involves about 80% independent focused work and 20% collaboration. You’ll use Jira, GitHub, and Slack and likely have a conversation with another team member to plan your technical approach, and perhaps another conversation if you “get stuck”.
You’ll update the group about your progress and attend a daily scrum meeting. You may review designs for some upcoming work with a small group. Every day you’ll inevitably learn something about our products, coding, our nonprofit customers, or how you can make a bigger impact on the team.
The work environment in the Kindful offices is collaborative, communicative, challenging, yet supportive. We leverage each other’s diverse perspectives and experiences for success.
Skills and Experience
We are building complex software, which will be used in different environments, by many users with different goals, with different data. In order to build valuable, quality software, a thoughtful and methodical approach is best. The following attributes and skills will serve a full stack web development professional well:
- The ability to think critically, creatively, and logically
- Curiosity, patience, determination and focus
- An awareness that everything you do is communication: writing code, commit comments, bug reports, emails
- The ability to collaborate well within both small teams and cross functional teams, and to communicate diplomatically & effectively
- The ability to move from long periods of focused, independent work into periods of collaboration
- The ability to prioritize and balance competing projects and tasks
- An inclination to drive your own success; you are a self-starter who takes pride in your work and is motivated to “always be learning”.
We are looking for the following experience:
- 1-3 years software development experience working with Ruby on Rails is best but we will consider other open source backgrounds as well (Python, etc).
- Experience working within a software development process and on a software development team
Due to the nature of Kindful, being a growth-stage startup, teams and processes are constantly evolving. To be successful at Kindful, every team member should take pride in their work, be self driven, and comfortable with a changing environment.\
This is a full-time, on-site position in Nashville, Tennessee. Local candidates preferred; currently not offering relocation assistance. Applicant must be able to work in the United States without sponsorship.