Job Posting: DevOps Engineer
Kindful is a fast-growing, leader in cloud software for growing nonprofits. We’ve built a platform that powers online fundraising + a fully featured CRM including integrations with best-in-class providers like Mailchimp, QuickBooks and Eventbrite (to name a few). We get out of bed every morning thinking about how we can help nonprofits grow and solve the problems that slow them down from creating meaningful impact in our communities.
We are actively hiring some of the kindest and most talented people you will ever meet. We offer competitive salaries, great benefits, and a high-energy environment with lots of room for personal and professional growth.
Ultimately, the reason we are here at Kindful is to provide software solutions to our nonprofit customers so that they can be successful in their missions.
In this role, you'll work collaboratively with software engineering to deploy and operate our systems. You’ll spearhead the effort to automate and streamline our processes. You’ll build and maintain tools for deployment, monitoring and operations, and you’ll troubleshoot and resolve issues in our development, test and production environments.
This position is located in our Nashville, TN headquarters.
- Operations / System Administration
- Daily monitoring of systems, identifying issues related to the performance and scalability of software processes and either resolving issues or creating tasks for other team members to debug / resolve
- Spearhead the effort to automate repetitive tasks related to server health and performance, first and third party integrations, and the production environment
- Upgrading, patching, and failing over database servers
- Maintaining and spinning up application servers
- Monitoring SQL queries for unacceptable slowness, testing index changes
- Tuning applications for high performance
- Monitor for and identify potential security vulnerabilities
- Creating, documenting, and testing failover plans and emergency readiness scenarios
- From time-to-time your role may require you to be available and/or to perform work outside of “typical” business hours.
- Knowledge & Documentation
- Having a full, working understanding Kindful’s architecture so that you will be able to address unexpected issues with the production environment relatively quickly
- Creating & maintaining documentation relating to, maintaining & supporting Kindful production and testing environments, especially as it relates to the architectural components, 3rd party and other dependencies, and accessing various components/services
- Cross training other team members on the processes and tools that you have created or updated
- Having knowledge of, and advocating for, and implementing best practices, specifically with regards to security
- Deploying Software
- Identify and escalate/communicate areas of risk before deployments
- Improve, document and maintain the process for deploying software
- Create and maintain tools deploying software
- Perform software deployments in collaboration with other team members
- Maintain a log of system outages, reasons, and resolutions
- You’ll be regularly communicating the current status of projects and various aspects of our production system to management and the software development team.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
We are building complex software, which will be used in different environments, by many users with different goals, with different data. In order to build valuable, quality software, a thoughtful and methodical approach is best. The following attributes and skills will serve a Devops professional at Kindful well:
- Excellent diagnostic/troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- The ability to think critically, creatively, and logically
- Curiosity, patience, determination and focus
- The ability to collaborate well with other engineers, developers, quality assurance and management, and to communicate diplomatically & effectively
- An ability to perform at a high level under intense pressure
- Effective time management, organization skills, and the ability to prioritize and balance multiple competing projects and tasks
- An inclination to drive your own success; you are a self-starter who takes pride in your work and is motivated to “always be learning”.
- A love for Linux and scripting languages, ideally Ruby
- An understanding of issues related to data privacy and security
We are looking for someone with the knowledge and confidence that comes from experiencing many different situations designing, implementing, and improving complex systems from core application logic to supporting infrastructure resources. The number of years is not as important to us as knowing that you’ve performed the described responsibilities successfully in the past, however at least 5 years experience is a good guide.
Other preferred experience:
- Experience with our tech and tools: Redis, Sidekiq, Google Cloud Platform, Ruby, Elixir, PostgreSQL, LMDB, NSQ, Docker, New Relic, Honeybadger, git and Jira. Barring GCP experience, you should have experience with cloud computing.
- A working knowledge of using automated tests and continuous integration in a software development environment
Due to the nature of Kindful, being a growth-stage startup, our teams and processes are constantly evolving. To be successful at Kindful, every team member should take pride in their work, be self driven, and comfortable with a changing environment.
This is a full-time, on-site position in Nashville, Tennessee. Local candidates preferred; currently not offering relocation assistance. Applicant must be able to work in the United States without sponsorship and to pass a background check.